Frequently Asked Questions

Disability Self-Identification and Requesting Accommodations

Accommodations for Exams


Where is the Office of Student Disabilities Services (SDS) in the Weingarten Learning Resources Center located?
The Weingarten Center is located in Stouffer Commons off of Woodland Walk. Additional information about locating our office can be found in the Find Our Office section of the website.

Disability Self-Identification and Requesting Accommodations:

How do I self-identify with the Office of Student Disabilities Services (SDS)?

Any student who has a disability or medical condition and wishes to self-identify, can complete a self-identification form by signing in to Penn’s MyWLRC Student Portal.  Submission of this form is the first step in the self-identification process. For step-by-step directions, visit the Documentation Guidelines page.

Students log in to MyWLRC using their Penn Key. If you do not have a Penn Key, please visit Penn Key support.

Any student who is requesting accommodations will also need to submit documentation of the disability and schedule meeting with an SDS staff member as part of the collaborative process in determining eligibility for accommodations. Students will be invited by email to schedule a meeting by using MyWLRC after the submission of the self-identification form.

How do I continue to use my approved accommodations throughout my time at Penn?
Once approved for accommodations, students must log in to MyWLRC and submit a semester request. It is recommended that students complete this process at the beginning of each semester.
What type of documentation do I need to receive accommodations?
More information can be found in the Documentation Guidelines section of our website. Please call 215-573-9235 to talk with an SDS staff member if you have any questions about documentation.
How do I request accommodations for housing?
To request housing accommodations, students must log in to MyWLRC and complete a self-identify form.
I received accommodations before coming to Penn. Do the same accommodations apply or transfer?
All students requesting accommodations at the University of Pennsylvania need to submit a self identification form through the MyWLRC Student Portal, submit documentation, and meet with an SDS staff member to complete the collaborative process. You may submit a copy of your accommodation plan from a previous educational setting as part of your disability documentation. Eligibility for accommodations is determined on a case-by-case basis.
I recently sustained an injury and need transportation. How can I get transportation on campus?
Transportation is available through the Penn Department of Transportation and Parking with the Penn Accessible Transit (PAT) vehicle. Contact SDS at 215-573-9235 for additional information on Penn Accessible Transit. Information regarding other temporary injuries can be found on the SDS website.
What do I do if I disagree with a decision made by SDS?
If students disagree with SDS’s determination of eligibility or reasonable accommodations, they are encouraged to meet with the SDS Director to try to resolve the matter informally. Students may then also seek review of the determination through the Reconsideration Process.

Accommodations for Exams:

Why can’t I see my classes in MyWLRC?
Accommodations for exams can only be requested in the online portal, MyWLRC, after you submit your semester request.
I am approved for exam accommodations. How do I sign up to receive them?
To arrange accommodations for exams, students will need to submit requests through the online portal, MyWLRC. All requests to take exams with accommodations must be submitted at least 7 days in advance to ensure they can be scheduled. Exam details will be updated in the MyWLRC account as it becomes available to SDS by the course instructor(s).

  • Students are required to check their MyWLRC account on the morning of their exam to obtain the most up-to-date information.
  • Deadlines for requesting accommodations for final exams are different than the regular semester and are posted in advance.
When will I find out the details of my exam (e.g., exam location)?
Exam details are available on MyWLRC as soon as SDS receives the information from course instructors. Once a student submits exam requests  in MyWLRC, SDS will send initial notification to professors one week in advance of the exam date.
Am I able to change the time of my exam?
Approval to change the time of an exam must be given by instructors through the MyWLRC portal. Students are responsible for requesting an alternative date or time at least 7 days prior to the exam date to give instructors and SDS staff adequate time to review the request and make adjustments.


Where do I find information about an emergency evacuation for students with disabilities?

Students, faculty, staff, guests and visitors with disabilities must be cognizant of emergency evacuation procedures.  More information about emergency evacuation can be found in Guidelines for Emergency Evacuations.

IMPORTANT:  In event of a fire or other emergency, notify the Division of Public Safety immediately by calling (215) 573-3333 or dial 511 from any campus phone.
Where can I find information about scholarships for students with disabilities at Penn?
SDS accepts applications from Penn students for several scholarships. More information about the scholarships offered and the application can be found on the Scholarships for Students with Disabilities page.