As you begin or return to your journey as a PENN student in the Fall of 2017, you are asked to embrace the call of Innovation. The Office of the Provost has announced the academic theme for 2017-18 as the Year of Innovation:
Innovation is key to advancing knowledge; innovators build on historic foundations as they move forward with new discoveries. We often associate innovation with technology and scientific advancements, yet it exists in every aspect of our intellectual culture.
At WLRC, we invite you to join us in reflecting upon the following focusing questions:
- Who am I as a learner?
- How do I learn optimally?
- How do I learn differently?
- What are my assets as learner?
- What are my goals as learner?
- What are my learning supports and resources?
- What will I try anew in 2017-18?
- What will I do differently?
- How can I innovate my learning?
- How will I kick off my learning trajectory this Fall?
To get you started, we have some ideas and resources to help you optimize and innovate your learning and sustain academic wellness:
- Come see us at the Weingarten Learning Resources Center. We’re conveniently located at Stouffer Commons, behind the Wawa on 38th and Spruce. Click here for Location and Hours.
- Walk-In or make an Individual Appointment with one of our Learning Consultants by calling 215-573-9235.
- Sign-up for some of our Fall Workshops for all students, including time management, reading and writing strategies and exam preparation. Other tailored workshops, include:
- Come by WLRC and pick up our handy Semester Calendars. Also, go to our website and explore our other Useful Tools & Information.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor, especially if you plan on dropping or changing any of your registered courses in the Fall.
- Explore and discover the other VPUL (Vice Provost for University Life) resources:
Above all, innovation is a central aspect of Penn’s history and identity: founded by Benjamin Franklin, one of history’s great innovators, Penn was designed from the outset to be different from other schools of its day and now includes innovation as a core principle of the Penn Compact 2020.
The 2017-18 Year of Innovation presents the opportunity for renewal. At WLRC, we welcome all new and returning students. We look forward to partnering with you at any juncture of your learning trajectory at PENN. Throughout, we uphold a spirit of innovation, renewal and learning wellness.